Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

Henry David Thoreau

Celebrating the Autumnal Equinox-What a Day!

Monday September 23, 2015                                  Most Recent Post:
Lewis Mountain Campground                                   Another AT Bear Day Despite the Fools:Jones Run to Rip Rap
Shenandoah National Park, Virginia

 

I know it has taken me a long time to get this posted.  There were so many pictures of such a spectacular day.  Wait until you see what I saw.

 

Image result for happy autumnal equinox

Technically, an equinox is an astronomical point and, due to the fact that the earth wobbles on its axis slightly, the date may vary by a few days depending on the year. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen it as late as this year on the 23rd.

The autumnal equinox occurs when the sun crosses the equator on its apparent journey southward, and we experience a day and a night that are of equal length. Up until the Equinox the hours of daylight have been greater than the hours from dusk to dawn.  But from now on, the reverse holds true.  The days actually have been growing shorter since Summer Solstice but now they will start to become shorter than the nights.  The dark time of year is beginning.

I’m not so thrilled to go into the dark but that’s the way of the Wheel of the Year.  Into each life some dark must come. So to mark this day I take a hike into one of the deepest hollows in the park. The hike is described as “very strenuous” so David can’t go along.   It’s nearly 9 miles and it takes me the entire day.  Too many gorgeous places to stop and wonderful things to see.

 

I am on the trail at 9:10.  Not an early start by any means but these fall mornings are cool and it’s hard for me to get in gear. I’d rather drink hot chocolate and read a book.   Plus David doesn’t sleep well and I don’t want to wake him with an early exit.

This map shows my route, nearly 3000 feet steeply down on the Cedar Run Trail (yellow) and then a relatively flat connecter trail (Blue) to the 2794 foot elevation gain on the White Oak Canyon trail (red) and then the Fire road (green) and horse trail (purple) at the end.  I start at the You are here dot.  The loop is described as 2 waterfalls on Cedar Run and 9 on White Oak.  Sounds fabulous but it turns out to be much more than that.

 

You can see what I’m up against from the contour lines on the map.  I’ve read in my guidebook that “Because of the area’s precipitous nature, this is one of the few places in the park that was never inhabited.”  But good things start to happen here right away.

I’ve only been on the trail 10 minutes or so when whooosh across the path goes a big bird.  I stop, look around and get these pictures of this Barred Owl checking me out from deep in the leaves and then deciding I’m not too interesting and turning his back.  Great way to begin my hike!

 

 

IMG_6187

 

The Cedar Run trail is rocky rocky and more rocky. They aren’t kidding about steeply down.  It seems as if each step must be planned.  This forces a slow pace.

 

 

 

 

 

 

This trail proves to be the steepest and rockiest descent that I’ve done in the park.  I’m thankful it is mostly dry and I don’t have to worry about slipping on the wet rocks.

 

Very shortly the trail joins the Cedar Run and it splashes along beside me.  I’m walking carefully, it’s running down hill.

 

The little cascades have pools and the fall leaves look beautiful atop the water.

 

 

 

 

 

Along side the rocky difficult trail there are large beautiful outcroppings.

 

The oak leaf looks even bigger than it is with this little toad sitting on it.

 

Aren’t his fall colors perfect?

 

 

The solitude and beauty of Cedar Run give the area a delightful sense of peace.

 

 

IMG_6292

 

 

IMG_6295

 

 

A lovely Red Spotted Purple butterfly is perched on a rock by the cascade.

 

IMG_6316

 

IMG_6315

 

 

Cedar run has larger cascades and falls as well.  I understand much better now the word “run” in this context with the series of falls and cascades as the river makes its way down the steep hollow.

 

IMG_6294

 

 

Near the bottom of the Cedar Run I find the link trail which will take me over to the White Oak Canyon trail to begin my climb up,  The connector is gloriously rock free and pretty flat.  It’s a wonderful break for the feet and ankles before beginning what I have read is a difficult climb.

 

IMG_6363

 

 

IMG_6367 

 

Very shortly on the White Oak trail I begin to see falls both at a distance and through the trees.

 

IMG_6438

 

IMG_6378

 

 

The trail heads up and again on one of the rocks I spy a tiny fellow traveler.  This one is leaving a noticeable trail. 

 

IMG_6414

 

IMG_6427

 

IMG_6424

 

IMG_6426

 

Soon I get my first look at a major White Oak Canyon Falls.

 

 

 

 

 

 

As I move further along the trail there is a rare viewpoint where I can see the Beautiful Blue Ridges.

 

 

And then I come much closer to the Lower Falls.

IMG_6439

 

IMG_6447

 

If it were warmer, I would definitely walk out into the pool.

 

IMG_6450

 

IMG_6453

 

What a wonderful place to rest a bit before hiking further up the steep trail.

 

 

 

IMG_6472

 

 

Up ahead I see movement and follow it where I find what I think is a Garter Snake hurrying off the rocks on the trail and trying to hide.  He’s a pretty thing and I’m able to get a few pictures of him.

 

IMG_6482

 

IMG_6490

x

IMG_6491

 

IMG_6495

 

 

On one side of the trail are rock outcroppings thrusting into the sky and on the other are more of the White Oak Falls visible through the leaves.

 

IMG_6504

 

IMG_6509

 

IMG_6513

 

I’ve lost count of the waterfalls.  Nine is the number advertised.  The beautiful cascades are even more numerous. .

IMG_6528

 

 

IMG_6521

 

IMG_6524

 

 

This one is very close to the trail so I am able to climb over and walk on the huge rock face the water spills on to.  Being the water lover that I am, this is an especially lovely spot for me.  I stay a while.

 

 

 

 

 

The trail then climbs very steeply up to pass directly in front of this large outcropping.

 

When I set up this picture with the camera on the timer I am amazed to find the stunning colors of the rocks over my head and behind me.

 

 

 

Not so stunning is this sign telling me that after all the climbing I’ve done, I’m only halfway up the trail.  From the sounds of the sign, it seems like some people have gone further than they should have and found coming back up a formidable problem.

 

 

I take many more pictures of this steep and difficult trail as it seems to be never ending.

 

When I see this sign I know I’ve come at to the last of the waterfalls. 

 

As you can see, the view is pretty distant and difficult to photograph.

 

A little zoom will help.  This is the main White Oak Falls and plunges 86 feet down.

 

Shortly after the final falls I come to this intersection.  Those hiking only the White Oak Trail will ascend back to that parking area straight ahead.  I have more miles to go along the Fire road, marked with red arrows, and then along a horse trail marked in yellow in order to return to the parking area marked with the blue arrow..   Notice the star on the horse trail  More on that shortly.

 

 

At this point I cross the much smaller White Oak Run and head up the much wider fire road. 

IMG_6634

 

IMG_6636

 

The fire road is easier to walk with fewer rocks but it is no less steep.  I’m clearly not near the top yet.

 

In what is beginning to seem like forever, I turn off onto the very rocky horse trail.  How in the world do horses manage this?  Frankly, as a former horse owner, I’m surprised that anyone would bring their horses onto some of these “designated horse paths”.  I know I try to avoid them but in this case, since I wanted to do a loop, this is the only way back from White Oak to my car.

 

 

 

 Paying so much attention to my steps on this trail I’m surprised I notice something pink in the leaves off to the side of the trail.   I stop to get a better look.  I had no idea Indian Pipe could be pink.  These are clearly at the end of their season as many of them are turning black. 

But they turn out not to be Indian Pipe.  Upon further investigation when I return home, I learn that these are a related but different species of Monotropa and much more rare.  They are known commonly as Pinesap. Apparently because they were thought to grow under pines but that has been proven not to be true.   Early in the season they tend to be a pale yellow color and turn pink or red in the fall.  What a find!

 

And then this horse trail turns into a great trail when I see not one but several black shapes ahead of me.  Of course I stop immediately and get my camera up.  But they are all scurrying along and most of my pictures are blurry.   This all takes place at the yellow star on the previous map.

 

 

 

It turns out to be a mom and two cubs climbing up and down the oak trees eating acorns.  Can you see the two black cubs going up the middle tree.

 

IMG_6672

 

Not sure the mom sees me but the cubs are at least looking my way as they come down.

 

IMG_6678

 

That’s mom.  She’s looking away from me.  I am making no noise at all.  All the sounds on my camera are always turned off totally.  She’s looking in the direction I need to go and I wonder if I’ll be here until night time waiting for them to move on.

IMG_6680

 

I take as many pictures as I can get for quite a while and then I just stand and watch them. 

IMG_6688

 

They run right up the trees and I can hear them crunching acorns up there.  I’m not sure whether I can move on along underneath them or if I’d better stay put.   They have been up there a long time when I take a chance and hurry on down the path just before they descend the tree again. I would never take a chance like that if they were on the ground.  But luckily,  now I’m on the other side of them and stop for some more pictures.   Watching them has just been a delight!

 

 

I’ve been here for at least 20 minutes now when down comes mom following the cubs who have gone off to my left.

IMG_6691

 

She follows them and I watch until I cannot see them any more.

IMG_6694

 

IMG_6695

 

 

What a fabulous ending to a perfect Autumn Equinox day. As I leave the bears, I’m less than a quarter mile from my car.  It has been a difficult and long loop but what fantastic things I’ve seen from the owl, to the red spotted purple, to the toad to the snail, the snake, the beautiful colored rock faces, the cascades, the waterfalls, pinesap and now the bears.  Being in the natural world, such a glorious place, is the perfect way to spend this holiday.

The end of my hike doesn’t look like it held such amazing things, does it?   I would have said to avoid these yellow blazes which signal horse trails in Shenandoah National Park but this one was sure worth hiking for a few miles of an 8.86 mile hike and at the end of a wonderful Autumnal Equinox day.

 

27 comments:

  1. What a fantastic hike! Do you ever worry about getting lost when out on your own? Are the trails well marked for the most part?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! I'm exhausted!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some exquisite photos today. I especially like the close-ups of the garter snake, and of course, the bears. I admit I would be very nervous going past a mama and her cubs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow-great hike:) Looks like you got up close and personal with the bears. That can be tricky when it involves clubs. Glad it was not a problem. Impressive number of falls on the trail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I really wish I could have done this one. What a great hike! I love your toad portrait. Looks like he was posing for you, very relaxed. What a great snail picture too! Maybe leaving a scented code message for a mate to follow? Beautiful snake too! Colors on the rocks are spectacular! And then Pinesap & bears - what a great day. Fabulous picture of the mama bear coming down the tree! Hope I don't miss this kind of hike again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooh, that's a perfect day on the trail (despite the steepness, I suppose!). All those falls and cascades and the amazing creatures are just the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The perfect hike to celebrate the changing of nature!!! I too thought the frog portrait was wonderful. It looked like it was changing colors just as the leaves have;o)) My oh my your time with the bears was really special. This hike had just about everything you love...only thing that could make it better is a little JMC as a reward for your hard work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You see more in one hike that a lot of people see in a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful hike. I'm so jealous of all the bears you've seen this summer and fall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! Your hike was awesome. Your pictures of the black bears are amazing!!!

    I'm envious!!

    Be safe.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see those bears. I think Mama Bear knew you weren't a problem, and giving her and the cubs enough space.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seemed like you had that whole long hike just to yourself and Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome hike - really liked all the falls and pictures of the owl and bears.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing pictures of the bears, how fantastic that you got to spend those wonderful minutes watching them. I thought the owl sighting was so cool but you totally blew me away with the bear shots! Another fantastic adventure you've shared with us, nature's beauty through your camera's lens. Thank you so much!!! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How could the day have been any more perfect. Love how you see the big and small along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A perfect equinox celebration in that beautiful and bountiful forest! All that water is so beautiful. Love the delicacy of the butterfly and the Pinesap on the same hike as the strength of the owl and the bears. I can't even imagine the thrill of watching the mother and cubs up and down the trees munching on acorns - what a blessing to witness that. Glad to see a post from you !

    ReplyDelete
  17. You sure are challenging yourself this summer. You have seen wonderful things and so much in just one hike! You DO carry bear spray just in case, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just getting caught up on your blog. It seems you've made the most of being tied to one area. I've enjoyed reading about your hikes in Shenandoah some bringing back great memories of our time there. What a great way to celebrate the Autumnal Equinox.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love hiking along with you. With each picture I find myself talking with you as if I was right along following your footsteps. So many people, miss the beauty before them as they are in to big a hurry or don't stop to take in all the precious moments that lay before them. And the big reason they miss out on the wildlife is they are so darn noisy!!! Talking and laughing so loudly they scare away the critters they long to see. Thankyou for sharing them with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a perfect way to celebrate the Autumnal Equinox! And you had such a variety of flora and fauna celebrating along with you -- from the Pine Sap, butterflies, and snails to the Barred owl and the bears. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish I had as much to see on my cement hikes everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Spectacular hike and how lucky you were to see all the wildlife, especially the young bear.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are brave! Congratulations. I've made that hike from the parking lot down and back and have sworn to never do it again. I love White Oak Canyon, but always go through Syria to get there now. I went up in the spring a couple of years ago before the leaves were on the trees and streams were running down the canyon walls all around me. It's a completely different look and so beautiful. Last Thanksgiving, my sister, brother-in-law, and I went up on Thanksgiving Day. It started flurrying snow -- wonderful until I managed to fall in the creek trying to cross back over on the rocks after I had taken a picture closer to the falls. Thankfully, I had on rubber boots. I am stunned at your bear story. Baby bears with their mother??? Like I said at the outset, you are brave! Great pictures. Thanks so much for sharing. Hope you rested up after that hike.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sherry
    The Terra Nova park does have a small electric section that is better for larger rigs. Early reservations for those spots is probably needed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an impressive hike! That definitely looked strenuous and pictures never do a steep hill justice. How neat to see that rare pink in the fall pinesap. And, the bears...how terrific! You got some great pictures of them climbing trees. I've never seen that. Also really neat to see the owl. Perfect way to spend the equinox indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. really great pics today. . .enjoyed them all. . .

    ReplyDelete
  27. Saw Pinesap for the first time earlier this summer, didn't know the color changed in the fall.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are the best part of this blog for me.
I LOVE hearing from you!